Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What I am truly thankful for this Thanksgiving

I have been trying to teach the children the true meaning of Thanksgiving, as I do each year. But, this year, I wanted it to be about more than Pilgrims and Indians (although that part is VERY important), turkey and pies and playing w/ our cousins. I wanted them to tell me what they are thankful for and why. So, I must lead by example and first tell them what I am truly thankful for.

Yes, I am thankful for my husband and children, my extended family, my home, my car, that we have food on our table each night, and I could go on and on, like most of you. So, on the way home from picking the children up from piano, I began to really search my heart about this (there are moments of peace in the car to be able to think). Right about then, this song came on the radio. This song is the reason we have Thanksgiving, the reason the Pilgrims traveled far to a strange land so that they could have the freedom to worship. This song brings me to tears each time I hear it, and even to my knees. I think this song sums up why I am so thankful this Thanksgiving. Jesus is everything to me and I hope he is everything to you.

No comments: